The Commission is looking to recruit suitably qualified nationals of the COMESA Member States to fill the following posts tenable at the Commission in Lilongwe, Malawi: Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified and experienced professionals for the following positions:
NUMBER OF POSTS: One (1)
DUTY STATION: Lilongwe
REPORTS TO: Director
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Commission’s fixed term employee under professional service category
Under the supervision of the Director, COMESA Competition Commission, the incumbent performs the following duties :
Manage effective investigation and assessment of trading practices in the Common Market in order to enhance consumer protection as enshrined under the COMESA Competition Regulations which includes:
Initiate actions against violators o Investigate complaints o Compile and submit investigation reports and case recommendations to the
Develop inspection procedures and techniques
Manage effective development and implementation of information, education and communication programmes for consumer protection in order to raise awareness of the public on consumer issues under the COMESA Competition Regulations and prepare relevant publications for dissemination;
Assist the COMESA Member States in establishing effective consumer protection systems at domestic level;
Advise industry, state and local officials and consumers on enforcement policies, compliance methods, and interpretation of the COMESA Competition Regulations
Plan and direct regulatory programs;
Foster multilateral cooperation in cross-border consumer welfare among Member States;
Network with regional and international consumer welfare officials and keep an update on latest developments and facilitate the Commission’s participation in key consumer issues at a Regional and International conferences;
Submit performance reports of the Consumer Welfare and Advocacy as required; and
Perform all such things as are incidental to the foregoing and/or as may be lawfully delegated by the Director.
A minimum of Masters degree in Economics, Legal Studies, Public Administration, Management or an equivalent qualification in the field of consumer protection from a recognized institution. A PhD from a reputable institution in an appropriate discipline will be an added advantage.
A minimum of ten (10 )years post qualifying relevant experience in consumer protection and/or competition law enforcement. The candidate should have experience of Consumer Protection at senior management level.
Working experience at a national/regional consumer and/or competition authority will be an added advantage.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi stakeholder processes.
• Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analyzing and presenting data and evidence.
• Accurate or intelligent demonstrable knowledge in advocacy, consumer protection, competition law, industrial organization or industry structures in any of the countries in the Common Market,
• Excellent Computer Skills.
• Demonstrated relationship management skills, including proven listening skills and sound business judgment,
• Ability to empower and inspire others to translate vision into results; identifies proactively strategic issues, opportunities and risks; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support for organizational direction; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
• Ability to provide leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
• Knowledge and understanding of the purpose and objectives of the COMESA Treaty and the COMESA Competition Regulations and Rules.
• Knowledge of the operations of the COMESA Competition Commission and the COMESA regional integration agenda is highly recommended.
WORKING LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT FOR ALL THE POSITIONS
Must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two or all of these languages will be an added advantage.
ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATION
Applicants must be citizens of a COMESA Member country and not more than 56 years of age at the time of submitting the application.
FINAL DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Applications MUST be submitted through the Coordinating Ministries of the respective member States on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/, Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format. Applications submitted directly to the Commission will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
FORMAT OF APPLICATIONS
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY THROUGH EMAIL AND ALSO IN HARD COPIES
The applications MUST reach the Coordinating Ministries by Friday, 7th February, 2020. Accordingly, short-listing reports from the Coordinating Ministries attaching all the relevant documents of the successful candidates should reach the address below by Friday, 28th February, 2020.
The Director and Chief Executive Officer, COMESA Competition Commission,
Kangombe House, 5th Floor – West Wing, P.O.Box 30742, Lilongwe 3,