The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Translator French - State Security (“Regional Early Warning”) - Job Grade 6
Purpose of the Job
Translate written texts and materials required by the Secretariat, with French being Language A and English Language B.
This position reports to the Senior Translator
Duties and Responsibilities
• Check original texts and discuss with originators/source of documents to understand translation requirements as well as the content and meaning of original texts
• Use appropriate computer assisted translation (CAT) tools / applications, especially Trados.
• Refer to relevant reference materials (dictionaries, online terminology databases, etc.) as and when needed to ensure accuracy of translations
• Ensure that translations retain the content and meaning of original documents
• Translate information and data related to peace and security in the SADC Region
• Translate all the documents for the Regional Early Warning Centre
• Revise and double-check translations of technical terms and terminology
• Prepare and continuously update a glossary/database of technical terminology used in translations, and make reference to it in future translations
• Facilitate effective communication between two parties that do not speak a similar language by converting one spoken or written language to another.
• Continuously increase specialist vocabulary both in English and the target language in order to effectively undertake translation assignments
• Relay concepts and ideas between languages.
• Convert written materials from one language into another, such as books, publications, or web pages.
• Edit and proofread text to accurately reflect language.
• Receive and submit assignments electronically.
• Perform any other duties and responsibilities as and when so assigned by the Senior Officer State Security.
Servicing of Relevant Technical & Policy Committees, Meetings & Workshops
• Facilitate translation of documents for the holding of committees, meetings and workshops as required
Qualifications and Experience
At least a Degree in Languages, Translation/Interpreting or related field from a
• Attendance to training on state security policy and planning
• Working experience in the field of translation
• Relevant knowledge and understanding of the political, security, social and economic situation in SADC region
• Experience in handling classified information
• Knowledge on the functioning and operations of SADC, more particularly in peace and security architecture programs
• Certification in Translation
• Trados certification will be an added advantage
• Proficient in the use of computers and computer programs relevant to the position
• Know the language fluently and be able to write well in French and English languages
• Knowledge and fluency of French as language A and English as language B. The
• knowledge of Portuguese will be an added advantage.
• Working knowledge of the key terminology used in SADC
• Proficient in the use of computers and computer software relevant to the
• Position, especially Trados.
• At least 5 years’ similar experience in a public sector or regional organisation
• Communication and presentation skills
• Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to
• Proficiency in French and English is essential
• Computer literacy including word processing, spreadsheets and competencies in presentation packages
• Conflict and crisis management skills
• Possess strong reading skills to understand what he/she is reading
• Be able to work sentences so that the translated materials are cohesive and easily readable
• Be able to work on documents that vary in length and complexity
• Interpersonal skills
• Leadership skills
• Organisational skills
• Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
• Conceptual and practical thinking
• Customer focused
• Maintain confidentiality and is respectful of sensitive situations
• Methodical and organised, and able to look at the big picture without losing the attention to details
• Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics
• Question conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
• Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
• Results and performance driven
• Visionary, thinks and acts strategically
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
• Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
• Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points/ of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
a) a cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position;
b) Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
c) certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
d) duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.
CLICK VIEW MORE INFORMATION BUTTONView more information
Applications are invited from appropriately qualified candidates to undergo an intensive two-year structured graduate-traineeship in Communications and Branding, with possibility ...
Deadline: 31 August 2022 About the NGO Faith Hope Foundation is a non governmental organisation based in Mutare. Who we ...
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the following posts : The Director of Information and Public ...
Deadline: 23 June 2022 Reporting to: Senior Media Advisor Location: Harare, Zimbabwe Position overview The Media Sustainability Advisor provides technical ...
The position of Director, Advancement and Public Affairs requires someone who is dynamic, conversant with information communication technology, outgoing and ...
Salary: TBA Expiry Date 20 Jun 2022
Posted by Bindura University of Science EducationView Full Ad
Deadline: 4 June 2022 About Accountability Lab is a network of translocal organisations that catalyses a new generation of active ...
Salary: TBA Expiry Date 04 Jun 2022
Posted by Accountability Lab ZimbabweView Full Ad