The Southern Africa Development Community Secretariat (SADC) is seeking to recruit highly motivated and experienced professionals who are citizens of Member States of the SADC to fill the following regional positions to its Organization Structure.
Legal Counsel – Job Grade 6
Purpose of the job:
Under the Supervision of the Senior Legal Counsel the incumbent will coordinate drafting, interpretation and amendment of SADC Treaty and Protocols, their Annexes and subsidiary instruments; provide legal advice, assistance and information to all Policy Organs as well as all Directorates and Units of the Secretariat on treaty, protocol and related legal matters.
Responsible for providing appropriate advice, opinion and assistance to the Secretariat on legal matters and issues pertaining to the SADC development and integration agenda; and for monitoring the implementation of all protocols signed by the SADC (from a legal perspective)
Main duties and responsibilities
• Act as an advisor to the on corporate legal matters
• Provide appropriate legal opinion, advice and assistance on the formulation, review, enforcement and interpretation of corporate legal documents (policy, rules and regulations, resolutions, contracts, leases, agreements etc.)
• Render legal services to SADC Secretariat in its areas of activity, its institutions.
• Initiate draft rules on specific policy issues; notify on the proposed rules and solicit comments; interpret and apply existing SADC Policies, Rules and Procedures
• Conduct legal and factual research to inform the writing of memoranda on draft legal solutions to disputes across SADC Institutions
• Act as legal counsel representative in staff grievance and dispute resolution hearings, litigations, court hearings and judicial proceedings, contract and partnership negotiations etc.
• Prepare cases and court pleadings
• Conduct legal analysis and research to keep abreast of all relevant changes of laws and advice Management on the required changes and impact to the operations of the Secretariat
• Review the legal implications, for the Secretariat, of new policies and legislations
• Custodian of all corporate legal documentation
• Research and adopt best practices in own specialised area of work, and maintain high level of knowledge in order to effectively undertake the duties of the post
• Provide legal advice and assistance to all Policy Organs and to all Directorates and Units of the Secretariat on the (a) drafting, revision and implementation of the Treaty, protocols, and any other legal instruments governing the SADC, (b) application or interpretation of Protocols, and (c) conformity of decisions and actions with the Treaty, protocols, and any other legal instruments
• Monitor the status of signature and ratification of protocols by Member States and coordinate the deposit and registration of SADC legal instruments with the UN and AU
• Interpret and apply SADC Treaty and Protocol provisions
• Participate in the development of legal instruments that should create an enabling environment for SADC Member States to operationalize SADC policies and strategies
• Undertake all steps to register the SADC Protocols with the UN and the AU
• Conduct research on various legal issues arising from the implementation of SADC regional integration programmes
• Advise the Secretariat on legal issues arising from the implementation of the SADC Protocols and their Annexes.
• Provide legal advice to dispute settlement matters
• Facilitate effective participation of Member States in regional, continental and international fora including in World Trade Organisation (WTO) ACI, AU etc.
• Interpret agreements and decisions reached by Committees of Ministers
• Provide advisory, drafting and interpretation services to SADC Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) countries during the negotiation and implementation process
• Conduct subject-specific legal analysis and research to keep abreast of all relevant changes of economic and political integration, advise on the implications for the regional integration agenda
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned
• At least a Masters in Law from a recognised institution and a license to practice law in any jurisdiction of a SADC Member State
• Specialisation in international trade laws would be an added advantage
• At least 7-10 years of work experience in providing legal advice
• Knowledge of Treaties, Protocols, Conventions etc.
• Knowledge of trade and customs laws and regulations in the Member States
Other relevant skills required
• Communication and presentation skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Networking and relationship building skills, persuasion and advocacy skills
• Organisational skills (planning, budgeting, time management, work prioritisation)
• Research, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Proficient in the use of computers, and forensic tools and software
• Capable of maintaining quality whilst working under pressure and adhering to deadlines
• Conceptual and practical thinking
• Customer focused
• Demonstrate ability to work independently and largely unsupervised
• Maintain confidentiality and respectful of sensitive situations
• Methodical and organised, with a high level of attention to details
• Organisational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organisation to get things done
• Professionalism and adherence to good work ethics
• Question conventional approaches and encourage new ideas and innovations for progress
• Resilience and personal drive, self-motivation
• Results and performance driven
• Team player
The positions are open to qualified applicants who:
• Are 50 years old or younger. This requirement is based on the Organization’s need to recruit staff who can serve for a reasonable period of time before reaching the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.
• Are from the following eligible Member States: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Closing Date and Submission of Applications: Applications must be submitted to the SADC National Contact Point https://www.sadc.int/opportunities/employment/national-contact-points/ of the eligible Member States not later than or on 23 May 2022.
Applications should be accompanied by the following:
a) a cover letter stating the position that you want to be considered for and describe how your qualifications, experience and competencies are relevant to the position;
b) Not more than five (5) pages updated curriculum vitae;
c) certified copies of your degree(s), Diploma(s) and Certificate(s); and
d) duly signed and completed SADC Application Form.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be required to produce evidence of educational and professional qualifications supporting your application, on the day of your interview.
SADC is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
If you are results orientated, you have a passion for the transformation and development of Southern Africa, and possess the required competencies, please submit your application.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the SADC Secretariat and being considered for interview, will be contacted. Should you not hear from the SADC Secretariat within two months after the closing date, kindly consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details on the position that you want to apply for, job profiles and SADC Application Form, refer to the SADC Website: www.sadc.int
Details can also be obtained from the National Contact Point in your respective country.
CLICK VIEW MORE INFORMATION BUTTONView more information
Old Mutual Zimbabwe Is Looking For Assistant Compliance Officer - AML Risk
This role reports to the Compliance Officer (Legal and Regulatory) and assists in maintaining a culture of compliance as well ...
Lafarge Cement Zimbabwe looking for a Company Secretary to join its Corporate team
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced Zimbabwean citizens to fill the mentioned vacant positions. To assist The Manager ...
In line with the Corporation's strategic initiatives towards increased value addition and foreign currency generation, Minerals Marketing Corporation of Zimbabwe ...
Salary: TBA Expiry Date 03 Jun 2022
Posted by Minerals Marketing Corporation of Zimbabwe (MMCZ)View Full Ad