The Council is looking for an accomplished administrator with knowledge and experience in Library and Information Systems (LIS). Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the position S strategic to the attainment of the University's mission and goals. As a pivotal member of the University's Senior Management team, the incumbent will be responsble for initiating, recommending, implementing and monitoring policies, systems and procedures dealing with classical and contemporary best practices in administration and safeguarding of the Libraries of the University. The post wil l be offered on a performance based contract of four (4)years.
The candidate will bring a combination of expertise and experience from both the academic discipline and library and information sciences. The successful candidate should demonstrate the following key competencies:
1. Strategic thinking skills and transformational leadership in order to drive at century library and Information Services (L IS) portfolio;
2. Policy formulation skills in order to recommend policies consistent with Open and Distance Electronic Learning best pract ices in the relevant portfolio;
3. Ability to create a Library and Information Services portfolio that enhances quality robust research, teaching and learning;
4. Ability to promote on-li le teaching and learning;
5. Ability to create an Institutional Repository and research visibility that contributes to the poskive ranking of the Universityin Zimbabwe and on theAfricancontinent; and
6. Ability to mobilize resources for t he Librarying particular and the University in general.
1. Developing effective management of the library and information systems of the University;
2. Developing g and managing collections of books arid journals (both paper and electronic) as well as websites;
3. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with academic staff, students; as well as external bodies;
4. Developing and executing LIS automation plans, web page development and creation of subject gateways relevant in today's Information Age;
5. Ensuring the effective and efficient acquisition of a meaningful collection of prink electronic, CD-ROM and audio-visual materials;
6. Keeping up to date with developments in the L library sector and participating in professional groups or networks;
7. Ensuring that critical links are established with Academic staff and No Meeting staff, Regional Directors, subject Tutors and other University stakeholders;
8. Effective supervision of staff and resources in all University Libraries; and
9. Performing any other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
10. Qualifications and Experience
The University is looking loran inspired Librarian with the following qualifications and experience;
1. A minimum qualification of a Master of Science Degree in Library and Information Sciences or any other equivalent and related qualification in Library and Information Sciences;
2. Proven IT skills particularly of library systems, Internet operations and the development of web pages and other innovations.
3. Knowledge of key trends in library science, including the ability to evaluate emerging technologies;
4. A minimum of five (5) years relevant post qualification managerial experience in Library and Information Services in a University;
5. Experience in an ODeL institution is an added advantage; and
6. Evidence of research in relevant disciplines will be an added advantage.
Interested and qualified persons should submit t (10) sets each consisting of the application letter, certified educational and professional certificates and Curriculum Vitae with contact telephone numbers and names of at least three (3) referees. Alll envelo pes should clearly indicate the post being applied for.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications should be received not later than 28 November 2019 addressed to
The Chairman of Council Zimbabwe Open University PO Box MP1119
C/O Chairman of Council
Zimbabwe Open University
3s Floor; Corner House
Cnr Sam ora Machel Avenue Et OR Leopold Takawira Street
LY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Created: November 14, 2019
Category: Journalism, Media, Library, Communications
Expiry Date: Nov. 28, 2019