From 2016 until 2020, Hivos is implementing the five-year Women Empowered for Leadership (WE4L) Programme, promoting women’s political participation and leadership development in Southern Africa and the Middle East. The programme is managed by Hivos and implemented together with local partners in Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Jordan and Lebanon. The programme aims for women to have equal opportunities and the capacity to fully and meaningfully participate in political and societal decision-making processes. This also means women should be recognised and supported by politics and society as leaders and agents of change. The objectives are fourfold: (1) More women participating fully and effectively in politics and public administration at sub-national level; (2) Female leaders, linked with women’s rights organisations, have more influence on political and societal developments and on public opinion; (3) Civic organisations such as trade unions and political parties promote full and equal participation of women in leadership positions and demonstrate a significant change in their own policies and practices; (4) More recognition and support from the general public for women in leadership positions
. For this programme, Hivos has the vacancy of Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning & Thought Leadership Officer (in short: MEL&TL Officer).
The main responsibility of the MEL&TL Officer is to make Hivos more active and pro-active in (collective) learning and thought leadership in the framework of WE4L, as well as to assist the WE4L team and partner organizations to have a proper and efficient planning, monitoring and evaluation system.
• Establishment of collective learning processes with the WE4L team and WE4L partners, including development of a common agenda, frameworks, processes and tools to systematically learn (what is working & what is not working? how are challenges overcome? what are the good practices and lessons learned?).
• Constructive feedback to the WE4L team and WE4L partner organizations on how to plan, monitor & evaluate properly, including Outcome Harvesting; revision of the M&E framework of WE4L in close cooperation with the financier.
• Building and leading a process of continuous re-evaluation, re-energizing, re-thinking, re-tooling and re-shaping the strategies being used depending on the context – also by connecting WE4L to the lessons learned from the work that feminists worldwide have done in the field of gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s leadership during the past decades.
• Promotion of collective learning with other stakeholders outside WE4L, including other FLOW grantees and like-minded organizations.
• Coordination of the production and dissemination of high quality learning products.
• Organisation of the end evaluation and end conference of WE4L.
• Representation of WE4L and Hivos at international platforms and act as thought leader in the field of gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s leadership.
All aforementioned responsibilities are implemented in close cooperation with the Programme Manager and with your other colleagues in this programme, who are based in all five programme countries and in The Netherlands. You will travel to the programme countries and the Netherlands on a regular basis.
You are overall answerable to the Director of your Hivos Office and for programmatic content to the Programme Manager Women Empowered for Leadership.
• You have proven expertise in gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s leadership with a university degree in Political Science, Gender & Women’s Studies or another relevant discipline.
• You have 5 years of experience with women’s empowerment and/or leadership
• You have thorough knowledge of change processes.
• You have excellent communication and social interaction skills, both written and spoken, in English.
• You are well-organized, independent, decisive and energetic, with an entrepreneurial spirit and working attitude.
• You are able to take people along, and are a real team player.
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Employment is offered as soon as possible for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Depending on your experience and skills your salary will be in accordance with the salary scale applicable to the office where you will be based. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with internal regulations and legal requirements.
This position will be based in Jordan, Lebanon, Malawi, Zambia, or Zimbabwe. Hivos welcomes international and regional applicants but can only offer a position to those with a valid work permit for one of the countries stated above. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
How to apply
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications, you can apply by 27 January 2019.Both a letter of motivation and resume need to be submitted in English to Hivos via e-mail to
Created: January 14, 2019
Category: Ngo, Social Services
Expiry Date: Jan. 27, 2019